View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
I am just thinking about the folks who seem to give leads everywhere. They are like celebrities almost. They make those speaker tapes & sell them. But I can understand why they do it. Because I felt like I was superman after I gave the lead. I seldom hear AA folks talk about this.
People don't often talk about it, because they try to keep ego in check. It's good to bring it up though, as it isn't discussed much. I'd be lying if I said there isn't that good feeling when I am asked to speak. It's been as short as 5 min (at a one year medallion) and as long as 40 min (at a detox). But that good feeling has shifted over time - at first there certainly a rush of some ego (hey! everyone is dying to hear me speak!") and now it's more a rush in giving back and sharing for the person who might be new (who might truly be dying).

There are some very well known speakers out there, and there is a certain status that is given to them, but even they struggle with this. I heard one tape recently where someone in the audience asked him the same question - how does he keep ego in check? He said what most of us say - we are just messengers.