Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bbthumper

I found that having a sponsor with an understanding of the Big Book was quite helpful in gettting me through the steps. The steps as they are written are a summary of the program of action. They summarize the instructions which are laid out in the Doctors Opinion and the first 7 chapters of the book. To try and understand how to work the steps by just reading them off the wall just doesnt work IMO.
The first 3 steps as I understand them can be "worked" while sitting on a couch. There isnt any action involved.
The book tells us that "we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives. This was the first step in the program of recovery."
Its more than just simply admitting we are alcoholic IMO. Its an understanding that unless I experience a complete psychic change, I will drink again no matter what. DO I really believe that I have no choice whether to drink or not? The Docs opinion and first 3 chapters are there to convince us of the first step; of our powerlessness; our loss of choice.
We want to be honest about that first step. If you have any doubts talk about them. We cant start a spiritual journey on a lie. This is where having a sponsor with a clear understanding of the book is incredibly helpful.

Best wishes to you!