View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by dasiydoc View Post
My boyfriend was doing a lot of research on treatments for addiction. And I started reading a lot too. There is a lot of research out there, and I saw this tv show once also where they say people in treatment or in early recovery benefit from taking on the responsibility of a pet. Animals offer unconditional love, and they reduce stress, anxiety. And they say that many people get help with overcoming emotional damage done while they were using. They learn to take care of someone else, have someone else responsible for them, put the animals needs above their own at times. It makes them have more self esteem when they care for the animal and then see it return affection. I think getting the dogs was a good idea. It wasnt his fault the dog was sick when he got it. But from what your saying, the dog (what he needs to do for the dog) is working in all those areas in his life where he needs it. It sounds like he is doing all the right things for the dog, but I can understand how it is hard on him emotionally. I think Gods little fingers were involved with that dog, but maybe he has good intentions. Well he is God, he is supposed to have good intentions for our ultimate good.
When my husband was in rehab they had animal therapy for the patients. Also, there was a man there that brought his dog with him. Some people have pets and are so attached they have a problem leaving them to enter treatment. When you think about it, it makes sense because rehab is often for 3 months. that is a long time to have to leave your pet, board your pet, or expect family or friends to care for a pet, and sometimes people have burned so many bridges, they no longer have anyone that will help them.