View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
MyTimeNow

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Trimpey uses that scenario to illustrate his point that until someone says "I don't want to live this way, I want help." then they are not technically addicted, but rather exercising their liberty to use alcohol despite the consequences.

Personally, I think he is saying that this woman is choosing her lifestyle as opposed to what everyone else thinks is right for her. One must decide for themselves that it needs to stop. One must have a sincere desire to quit drinking or using, it cannot be externalized. Until this happens, no amount of "treatment" will matter.
Yes this is exactly how I see it too. Which is why it makes me weep as I like her have always chosen prison (drink/lifestyle) for too many years. I completely agree that there was never any denial on my part. I knew exactly what I was doing and I knew the consequences. I have always made the choice. Often I didn't know I was making it... I had heard nothing of the beast or the AV until I joined this forum in June. I was trying to fight with 2 voices in my head that lead to absolute anxiety and defeat.

It was a relief to find I wasn't schizophrenic.

I'm off to bed now, but there are other things that I have read that I'd like to discuss if only for my own musings. I feel almost on the precipice. Good and strong and ready to leap, but my AV says... we've seen it time and time before... I've actually punched my left hand over my right shoulder to shut it up as that's where in my mind it resides! I'll be developing a tic at this rate!