View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 06:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Lily
*Grateful*

I used to bring my son all the time. I started when he was 3 till about 5. I used to bring his DVD player when he was 4 to 5 and his ear buds...when he was younger, colors. My husband works second shift and my sponsor said it was fine. Only open meetings mind you and I was able to keep him quiet. Noone seemed to mind. It was nice how people really did guard their mouths and didn't cus with him there.

I don't bring him any more. I see your concern not wanting your kid to become an alcoholic or addict. I know there have been studies done proving the genetic component, however I tend to have a differen theory.

This is mine. I am raising my kids in a way they have a voice. (I never really did and was made to feel shamed a lot) I am raising my kids w/out control or manipulation. (I was raised in a household with a lot of control and manipulation) I am raising my kids to be 100% honest in all their affairs and if I think there is a lie going on, I call them on it. However, if my kid tells me he is being truthful, I believe him. (I was raised with a parent who always told stupid lies and also NEVER believed me and was very accusatory)

I think that the whole addict alcoholic has so much to do w/ how they are raised. I really LOVE my boys. (I do things differently than my parents do...we either become like them or we use their example of what NOT to do) I have one who is 24 and doesn't drink or drug, he knows of my alcoholic/addict past as he lived with me at rehab as a young boy, he and even goes as far as not speaking to people who drink or use. (he has no tolerance) That is where he is at. He does however have overeating tendencies, (I have too and am now in recovery for that...lol ) My other son is only 9, so time will tell. He doesn't walk around shy or ashamed like I did though, so that is a good sign!

Blessings to you!! Lily