View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
redatlanta

Brand new in recovery - I wouldn't keep any alcohol in the house. I wouldn't drink around her at all. I wouldn't go out and come home intoxicated or smelling of alcohol.

Its one of many parts that's hard and feels punishing when dealing with someone's else's sobriety.

My husband was already sober when we moved in together. 8 years sober. He said he didn't mind if I had a drink here and there but he was not ok with me going out for drinks after work and coming home buzzed or ever being around him drunk. This was a major change for me as my work was social and at least once to twice a week we all went out for cocktails. I didn't care anything about not drinking at home because I never did. Every once in a while when we went out to dinner or at a social event I would have drinks.

Anyway I changed my drinking habits and found other things to do - like start another business. My husband relapsed last year and since I have not had a drink in front of him. If I ever do it will be a good long while until I feel that he is solid in his sobriety again.

In the meantime sometimes I do feel like having a drink I just don't or I wait for opportunities like when I know one of us will be out of town.

With a history of sobriety I don't think it uncommon for drinking to be acceptable with an SO.

However, I would be surprised to hear of anyone with a newly recovering SO that its not an issue.

You might post on the alcoholic forum and get an answer straight from the source.