Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Butterfly12

Hmmmm, I experienced the exact opposite of what many of you have noted above in Al Anon. I've attended regular Al Anon meetings and have never had anyone bring this up or try to push off their beliefs on me (until today). We all have shared our ESH and talked in terms of God or HP when germaine to the discussion, respecting everyone's right to have their own opinions and thoughts on this matter - and, to stay on respective sides of the street in this regard.

Today though, I went to a non-program Al Anon step study and one of the attendees expressed her displeasure with others who spoke of God/Christ when sharing their ESH in working through the steps. Others expressed their concern and confusion, and I asked her for examples so that we'd know exactly what she was talking about and she could come up with none. I was really trying to understand what was "off program" and would've upset her. Others in the group said they felt comfortable with accepting the faiths of others becasuse it has nothing to do with their own personal faith, this woman stood her ground, wouldn't give examples and just said she didn't like "it". It's amazing to me. Her rigidity and inability to accept others has made it a hostile place to be now. I have walked on eggshells to talk in terms of HP since I started Al Anon - trying to respect everyone in the groups. With this; however, I now feel like I'm being discriminated against, and that a muzzle and filter are being slapped on my face becasue I'm a Christian. I feel like I can't say anything, not even HP without her getting her nose out of joint. The group leadership kind of rolled over, so if this is the "consensus" for this group, then I choose to leave because I don't feel safe in an environment where one person can manipulate the rest into submission. It's kind of a sick CODA thing to me. Anyway, it's too bad that this woman has to be so selfish and won't follow a few tenets of Al Anon - be an adult, take what you like and leave the rest, it's not about you, it's about the group, etc.. Just thought you might like to hear the other side.

Also, for those who can't grasp the HP thing, why do you go to Al Anon or other 12-step programs? I'm confused as it is an HP-focused program. Aren't there other programs that you can work through that don't have this focus? I ask becasue I was going to a 12-step group and couldn't handle some of what was going on so I just stopped. I found other support and have found it very helpful and enriching. There's always a choice, right? So, who needs extra drama when you've already got an overflowing plate?!

P.S. I've just recently started going to ACA. If you have this in your area and are an adult child I HIGHLY recommend it. It's been wonderful so far and the discussion has solely been on our stuggles in recovery and ESH. It's not as "spiritual" as Al Anon.