View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by FamilyMan2153 View Post
I am working step 4 now and have asked a couple of the guys questions. I am not avoiding them but on old timer told me to take my time with the first 3 and he and a couple others helped me. So far I really like the group of guys at the meeting but have only tried one guy who said he would help but not really the sponsor type. He is a really good guy who just got his 20 year coin. Maybe I should ask him for help in finding one.
Sounds like a bunch of good ol' guys, but have they worked the steps? If not, then they're still a bunch of good 'ol guys, but they have nothing to transmit to you. Do you check out other meetings? Are there other men you speak to there? Have you spoken to the secretary at any of the meetings, asking if they know of any men who can act as temporary or full on sponsors? Have you raised your hand or made it clear to the group you need a sponsor?

Sponsorship by committee isn't the best thing - while helpful to poll and get collective wisdom from the fellowship is great - sponsorship is a one-on-one proposition. Especially in the 4th step, you will need guidance by someone who has done it.

It's a wonderful thing (and vital thing) to have a sponsor. I wish you the best of luck in your hunt!