Old 01-31-2013, 11:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
AtATotalLoss

Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
I have had issues with the whole higher power thing and turning my life over to an outside force. No matter how much Alanon says they are not religious there is a underlying Christian ethic in the program. The 12 steps have a strong confession, forgiveness, and redemption feel to me.

At times the attitudes are somewhat condescending from some of the members and the literature. Just hang in there, you’ll get it and fake it till you make it don’t really resonate with me.
These two thoughts were on my mind yesterday and today...
I support AA/NA/Alanon/Naranon/any other anon I have missed. They are great programs and have helped so many people deal with all the many facets surrounding addiction/recovery. I don't speak ill of the programs themselves. And more power to anyone that is questing for answers to their own or a loved one's addiction by any means!
But. I do have problems with the advice or suggestion so often given here and elsewhere that these programs are a "one size fits all" thing. I don't believe they are. Everyone is unique and I think that there has to be some room for interpretation in recovery programs. But I know in Alanon, when I have had these types of questions that I have tried to ask after the meetings are over, I usually hear "well, you are in denial." Ummm.... I am here. Therefore, I am clearly NOT denying there is a problem.
And the "fake it til you make it" thing just drives me batty! I thought 'recovery' was supposed to be about learning/practicing and being honest with yourself and your feelings. Soooo, how is it honest for me to be "faking" something? Isn't faking my feelings part of what has led me to where I am, trying to recover?
I used to read the encyclopedias for fun when I was a kid, so I have always been a questioner But I am getting really frustrated that IMO, alanon seems not to be a place that welcomes questions. That feels an awful lot like religion to me...
Sorry for the ramble folks, but was thinking "brilliant" thought on all this before I got my coffee this morning and wanted to put them down somewhere...