View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CeciliaV

AH going to inpatient treatment

It's been a long time since I posted - it was too depressing for me to come back to keep posting the same thing over & over (hey, he's sober...wait, he's not), but I'm hopeful that things are about to change. AH came to me this morning & said he wants to go to an inpatient program. Actually, he woke me up at 5am. He'd been up since 2am thinking, & at 5am we talked, and by 6am, he'd emailed colleagues to let them know he would be coordinating medical care & taking a medical leave of absence. (He's a prof & wanted to be responsible & let others know that his courses/duties would need to be covered by others, effective immediately.)

He started an outpatient program at a new facility a couple weeks ago, but with him skipping sessions & not able to control his drinking, it's become obvious (even to him) that he needs more help.

He called the treatment facility this morning (same company, different location for inpatient care), and I'm taking him in to start his treatment first thing tomorrow morning. There have been dozens of phone calls with oodles of questions - what to bring/not bring, visitation rules, schedule info, etc. I've got pages upon pages of notes from all the conversations with the treatment center & with his HR department, and I think we both finally have more of a handle on what to expect.

The kicker is that this Friday is his birthday. He's bummed about having to spend his birthday in rehab, but I told him that this is the best gift that he can give himself.

Tonight, we got him packed up & had a last meal at home together before he goes. This day has been wonderful & terrifying all at the same time. It's also been somewhat maddening, since he actually somehow managed to sneak drinking most of a pint pretty early in the day, but I'm trying to focus on positives. Like how I'm going to know that he's safe & in good care, and how I'm going to be able to stop standing guard over him & start focusing on me.