View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Hi,

Getting "down to" one and a half beers a day is NOT progress when you are dealing with alcoholism. It is, simply, continuing to drink. I'm sober four and a half years now, but I struggled to control it for four and a half years before that. I was fooling myself, because I invariably went back to drinking the way I wanted to (even more, thanks to sort of a boomerang effect from the attempt to control it), and my drinking became steadily worse.

You need to support YOU right now. I'd say getting your stuff from his place was a moment of clarity, not stupidity.

If he is serious about trying to recover (doubtful since he is still drinking, but let's say for argument's sake he MIGHT get serious about quitting), he needs to focus all his energy on that, and he does not need anyone's "support" other than the people in his group. Relationships can be a huge distraction, even when they are healthy ones.

Please give yourself both some space and check out Al-Anon. It can help you turn the focus onto yourself, so you can be happy whether he gets well or not.