Old 01-27-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

In many parts of the world, one's religious convictions are an intensely private matter, and it is seen as a matter of breeding that they are kept that way. That is not the case for most of the members here, as you have noted. Religious convictions are seen as a badge of wisdom and enlightenment, and the non believers can have salvation (or sobriety) if only they will suspend disbelief and allow the 'truth' to become manifest. I find that patronizing and dismissive.

There is a common rejoinder to comments such as yours, BigS, especially when they are critical of faith based alcoholism programs, even from their proponents. That is 'maybe your problem is YOU buster', which effectively removes the topic from any rational discussion.

I think you are more likely to receive a frank discussion of outcome- and evidence- based sobriety methods in this forum as opposed to any of the others, but there still isn't a guarantee of that.

To be clear, BigS, I am a theist, and I am a member of a faith based community. I firmly believe that my creator endowed me with free will, and absolution of my sins has zip to do with an act like drinking a glass of wine.

It is an interesting topic, and I support it. I'd be interested in hearing more of what you have to say, and I gently suggest that you keep those remarks here in this forum.

“The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations