Old 01-25-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paddler

I would agree with all the above. For me:

Running/eating right. Before I started cutting back then quitting alcohol I would use exercise as a mere excuse to drink more. To counter act the calories. Now it's more because I enjoy it and enjoy being healthier.

Music. I play piano and keyboards. I've always written singer/songwriter music and played in blues/jam bands. I used to think alcohol opened up my mind... Now I see it simply drowned my true potential and my mind is so much clearer when I play. Of all the musicians I could start liking while sober... Jimmy Buffet. I never cared for him and even though a lot of the music is alcohol related I can't help but enjoy listening to Margaritaville on my Sirius. It makes me happy... and, strangely, jam band stuff is kinda annoying to me right now...

Reading. I was always too drunk or hungover to read. Now I can't wait to read before bed.

Most of all... waking up. I really, really, really have enjoyed waking up to the sunrise now. And I have established a routine of making some coffee, eating some fruit, staring at the mountains, checking the news... and relaxing. All before 7:30!!!