View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
CarrieTX

Originally Posted by ilovehim1104 View Post
I am so confused with you being a therapist and knowing how addicts are master manipulators and things of that nature does that mean you are as well a codependent ? Not judging I am just complezrly lost as to why you had gotten involved considering all you knw but we r human and make mistakes just glad u did make the decision t end it and mayb thats why you dated so you nw can see why you never dated one again since your divorce. either way glad ur here this really made me question this whole therapy counseling stuff...but wish u the best.
I do believe people in active recovery can be desirable partners. I have many friends, certainly not all of my friends, who are in recovery and live happy healthy lives with functional romantic relationships. I knew there was a risk in dating him, but given what I knew of his recovery program and his amount of time sober decided I would give it a chance. His relapse doesn't make it wrong for me to have done so. It just means that I continued until I saw evidence that he wasnt solid in his recovery. And yes, I do have some codependent traits that can surface from time to time. That is part of my own path.

Re making you "question this whole therapy counseling stuff", therapists are human too. It is much easier to see other's dysfunction than our own. It is much easier to be a therapist than to be a person dealing with relationships at times.