View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
hamabi

"The first thing is that although I do believe in god, I personally don't believe that the higher power is going to keep me from drinking. It may be a part of the overall picture, but inevitably it is up to me."

I'd agree.

"The second thing was a guy stood up and said something to the effect of its not our fault that we drink and that one drink will never suffice. I know for a fact that one drink will never be enough for me so I cant ever have alcohol again. I finally realized 7 weeks ago that I am responsible for picking that first drink up!"

Got it. Your points are that god doesn't keep you from drinking and that since you can't stop at one you now know you cannot ever drink again and are responsible if you do that again.

I think that's a fine and logical basis to use going forward. It's fairly surprising that people would experience any further problems after deciding that drinking's not a good idea for them and they are not going to drink, as you have done. I've some experience doing that starting at age 19 that went on for a while, but everyone's path is their own.