Old 01-25-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
TheEnd
High on Life

Originally Posted by Itchy View Post
What are you doing here!
I am here because for me quitting drugs and alcohol was a difficult task. I have been to multiple detoxes and to rehab, went to AA, had a therapist, you name it. I didn't flip any light switches and Shabang, "I am a non-drinker now". I needed the support of other people along my journey and now I am here to support other people on their journey. I also believe this is good for my recovery as well, taken from the 12th step of the fellowship.

When I quit drinkinkg, I had to change who I was inside and outside. I had to become a new person for this change to be effective. That's the difference for me with smoking, I didn't need to become a new person. I just needed to become a non-smoker.

I think the same thing rings true for everyone else here on some level. It's not about learning to be helpless, it is about being "helpless" on some level. If you look under the smoker's forum, there are very few threads under there. That's because of the simple reason that quitting drinking and quitting smoking are two different animals. Yes, the basic idea is there, but there is just more to it than I am able to explain.

If you just flipped a light switch and became a non-drinker, more power to you, but for me it was little different.