Old 01-25-2013, 04:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
jazzfish
Better when never is never

This is a very interesting discussion and I appreciate everyone's feedback. One the one hand, I see that quitting is very straightforward. I simply make a decision to never drink again and I always stick with that decision. Quitting, no matter which program or none, will always fundamentally be a based on a personal decision of mine.

However, since alcohol lowers inhibitions, numbs emotions, and diminishes mental and physical functioning, it can result in much bigger mess being made of my life than smoking. It MAY be the case that I will need to deal with this mess to return to a state of health and not dealing with it MAY serve as motivation to push me back toward drinking, but not drinking will still be based on my decision to drink.

Finally, drinking is still socially acceptable and promoted as desirable and fun, while smoking is no longer nearly as acceptable (in the US, at least). Quitting drinking will definitely be going against the grain of society, so getting the support of others may help a person feel less like an outcast and overcome the pressure to engage in "normal" social behaviors. Not everyone will need this type of support, but there are definitely personalities that are not as comfortable blazing their own trail as others. Regardless, at the most basic, quitting drinking will still be based on my decision to quit. There is no magic or special trick that will get around that aspect.

However, whether not dealing with the mess (if I've made one) and/or not getting the support of others threatens my long-term chances at sobriety, is another question.