View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 03:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Alexi123

What should I do??

So I apologize for the long story here, but I really don't know what to think or do here and I'll make it as short as possible.

My sister who is now 22, looking back, has been on a long decline. When she was 19 her boyfriend got sentenced to 7 years in prison for assault with a deadly weapon (bar fight) At this point she got really depressed, and this is where I really think the problem began.

Fast forward to now, In Nov./Dec. of 2012, she was housesitting for my dad while him and his girlfriend (parents are divorced, not a bad divorce or anything like that). While she was house sitting, she opened a Credit Card offer my dad got in the mail, and activated it via their home phone.

During these 2 months she racked up an almost $10,000 cash advance debt that my dad just found out about last week. She came clean to my mom and said she had a serious painkiller addiction yesterday.

My dad wants to call the police and press charges, but my mom doesn't. She wants to confront her at an intervention type thing this weekend and give her the option of jail or rehab. My dad is demanding my mom pay back the 10,000 if she gives my sister the rehab option. My mom can't afford to pay 10 grand, she's planning to pull it from her retirement account.

What should my advice to my mother be, I don't think she should be paying for my sisters mistakes. I'm in favor of my dad calling the police, but my mom and other sister get all mad when I say that and think my dad is being the biggest ******* on the planet. They told me not to come to this little intervention type deal if I'm just going to side with my dad, should I bother going or just let what happens happen and not make this my problem.

edit: Forgot to mention my sister also has an alcohol problem, had her first DUI 2 weeks after turning 21.