Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
jazzfish
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by lillyknitting View Post
I've often thought exactly the same. I gave up smoking too about 7 years ago. I am a totally non smoker, I never, ever think about it, I hate the smell of smoke and can't stand it if someone lights up. I also think people who have to sit outside, especially in this weather, to smoke, are stark staring bonkers. I can never, ever imagine why I ever smoked it is so vile, disgusting and stinks. Also, I realize it is an addiction like alcohol. So why, as you say, can't we give up the booze, like we did the fags, and forget it. Why do we have to keep going to meeting, talking about it. I never have to talk about smoking! So I guess it must either be habit, or we just can't let go, we still think there is something magical in drinking, like forbidden fruit, or missing something fun! If we could realize there is nothing missing we would be fine.
This gets to the main gist of my question. I quit smoking over 7 years ago and never think about it at all. If I build alcoholism into some eternal daily threat, that I must recommit to defeat everyday, am I setting myself up for eventual defeat? I am not siding one way or the other, but sincerely asking the question.