View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

((healin)) - I just stopped smoking, again, and I've got almost 6 years in recovery. Should have stopped a long time ago, but I don't know that I could have done it when I was new to quitting crack.

I will tell you some of what worked for me. I'd been to AA meetings (there were way more of them than NA where I used to live) and though haven't been in years, I still use what I learned there. I lurked here, for about 2 years, and read a lot of stories that were similar. Found out it really doesn't matter what we're addicted to, the thought process is pretty darned similar and I can get a lot of support from people with all kinds of addictions.

I started telling myself, from day one..when a craving would hit.."not an option..next" with "next" being a cue to distract myself. I also remembered my relapse and it wasn't pretty, and that took away the "glamourizing of the drug" we often do.

In time, I'd find myself doing something to distract myself and didn't even realize I'd thought of crack, which was pretty cool. I also started making myself do a gratitude list. My first one had 2 items and was said through gritted teeth. Nowadays, it could go on forever.

SR has been a huge part of my recovery. I've learned about other methods, other beliefs and I take what works for me..a little of this, a little of that, etc. I also have good support...several family members who know nothing about addiction, but also friends who do and many people from here that I've become friends with.

I can honestly say that when stuff comes at me hard, my first thought is "Just let me get to SR, I'll be okay". The thought of using crack is a distant thing, but I still respect that it only takes one dumb move and I'll be back to where I was and I don't know that I've got another recovery in me.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy