View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Florence

I think sarcasm can be funny if in the right company and used wisely, but in an interpersonal relationship it's more often than not a passive aggressive tactic that can be blamed later on "just joking, why are you so sensitive?"

I noticed that my AH, who goes right to sarcasm when he's angry, always hated it when I flipped the sarcasm switch on him during an argument. Then, suddenly, sarcasm was mean and it became an opportunity to change the subject from whatever we were fighting about to how we fight (i.e. how mean and unforgiving I am). Meanwhile, he was carrying on a secret life under my roof.

Resentment much? I know, I know.

I got blamed for being too sensitive quite a bit. Since we've been living apart for awhile, I've been reflecting on a lot of our relationship patterns while I contemplate what it would look like getting back together (a long shot at this point, but one I still think about a lot). One of the things I always think about is how light he was on compliments, and how heavy he was on sarcasm, teasing and pointing out my shortcomings. I used to ask him, when we were purportedly working on our relationship, to toss me some more compliments. Tell me I'm pretty, tell me if you liked this dish I made, tell me if you appreciate this project I did. I would ask for a compliment and he would say, "It's too hard. You're putting me on the spot." Ouch. But on the other hand he was pretty quick to cut me down, or remember something stupid I said, or insult my taste in pretty much everything. And personally? Something that weighs heavily on a marriage is hearing how boring, dumb, and terrible you are all the time.

So maybe the issue isn't that you're too sensitive. Maybe his issue is that you aren't as compliant as you used to be.