View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Bigndfan175

Get some support

Originally Posted by seekinga View Post
You are right, I know the answer. But how do I stop... Every time 6pm rolls around I want to have a wine. I feel helpless, I have tried for so long to stop, and have managed 6 months stints but right now it is proving too hard. Any advice is welcome.
Every day I want to drink between a pint and 750ml of vodka but I don't.I'm not 13 any more I can't always do what I want.

How do I do stay sober? Well, I go to AA, I have a sponsor, I do service work and don't pick up that first drink. In fact, I can't even have a single sip or the obsession picks away at me and I think I can handle a 1/2 pint. That 1/2 pint lasts a day then the next I decide to buy a pint and then I'm buying 750ml of vodka daily. I only have 62 days of continual sobriety (that's after living 12 years like you ...pick up...put down...pick up....put down [never more than two consecutive days]) All I can tell you is what worked for me (and 2M others).

The big book of AA says that alcoholism is a an allergy of the body and an obsession of the mind. The alcoholic suffers from an "allergy of the body" that
makes them unable to ingest alcohol without experiencing the
"phenomenon of craving" and an "obsession of the mind" that tells him
that he can drink anyway - blocking out ALL of the bad **** that happens when we drink.

I know I could relapse at any moment should I choose to not work (that's the key you can't coast) my program.

Don't get discouraged it took me 12 years to gain 62 days of continual sobriety.

All the best and keep posting!