Old 01-22-2013, 01:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sunshine2
The sun still shines

I must admit that the article made me want to run to my son and beg him to come home so I can show him how compassionate I am and how much I love him. Then I remembered that I did that for a long time. I tried unconditional love for a long time where no matter what he did, I showed him how much I loved him and that I understood and forgave him. All it did was lulling me in a false sense of security that my son was healing and the shock of discovering what he was up to was even bigger.

I do resent the fact that it is implied that an addict was not mothered enough. It sure feels like the blame is put back squarely on the mother. Having fought long and hard to overcome the intense guilt that I must have done something wrong, I am simply not prepared to contemplate that again. The doctor may not understand the fact that addicts will lie and put the blame anywhere else to protect their addiction. How does he KNOW they were al deprived?

Deuce, I have said it before and will say it again that I am happy everything worked out well for the kid. However, please understand that tough love is a process that you EVENTUALLY get to. Not one of us started off like that. What would you have done if he started stealing from you, if he became abusive, if he did nothing else but stay in his room all day playing computer games and getting high? What if, in spite of your best efforts, this carried on year after year after year? What if his behaviour affected the whole family and other children really badly? Would you have started contemplating tough love then? You were blessed and I am glad you blessed him by giving him a chance. However, please do not think that is all it takes for everyone.

I am glad that people are given clean needles and that someone tries to keep them healthy. That way, they have a better chance of staying alive and hopefully one day decide to get clean. However, the insinuation that anyone not showing more "compassion" doesn't care enough, is offensive.