Old 01-21-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
allforcnm

the article title is correct. I attached the link to the original article that was on posted on the website for Time Magazine; a respected news source.

As I stated, I have read several of the books written by this author. The one mentioned in this article was on the Best Sellers List; and while some people may not agree with his theories, he is still a respected doctor. The book also got very good reviews, and many people have found it beneficial. I would follow the rule and attack the argument, and not the person, if you disagree.

If the topic is an emotional trigger for some, then I would suggest they just avoid reading, or thinking about it. Personally, I do believe that things that happen/don’t happen to a person in their formative years can have an impact on things like substance abuse. I realize the thought of this may be painful for some who are currently undergoing a crisis, but it might be valuable information to others, who like me are parents of a young child and want to take in as much information as possible, make decisions on what we as individuals believe might be true, and then incorporate some of this into our parenting plan.

My husband suffered an addiction to pain meds, and it was long after he left his parent’s home, and we were married. We do not blame his parents for causing his addiction, nor do we think they failed him as parents. However, looking at his childhood from a place of honesty, there are things that he wants to do differently as it relates to parenting our child.

Tough Love, Kind Love are concepts. We are all free to incorporate these things into our relationships as we see fit. There are no absolutes, or guarantees where addiction is concerned. Take what you want and leave the rest.