Old 01-21-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I defintiely believe in compassion and a no nonsense straightforward approach that says to the addicted "I believe in you. You are capable of ending your addiction."

As clearly stated in the article, harm reduction is not a treatment method for addiction. This will cut out certain risks from drug use, but it's harm reduction...there are still huge risks to an addict who continues to use, one being death.

I'm not a fan of harm reduction in terms of ending addiction. Yes, it will reduce the spread of diseases though.

In our society, it’s not [just] a question of whether parents are doing their best or love their kids or not, it’s that parents are often isolated and stressed or too economically worried to be there. What I’m saying is that early emotional loss is the universal template for all addictions.
Addiction has been a problem in all societies, across cultures and across the ages. There is nothing to back up that "early emotional loss is the universal template for all addictions". I'm sure there are parents on this very forum whose children became addicted despite them being more than adequate parents. Conversely, there are trillions who have suffered unspeakable pain and loss and never become addicted.

Tough love, kind love...in the end none of it matters until the addicted says so.