View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 05:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
LadyinBC
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by sneeker View Post
Yes, I have been to my gp. I have been put on a waiting list to see an councillor. I am sceptical and afraid of going on meds. I know so many people on meds and its not worked for the vast majority.

I'm hoping the councelling will help.
I agree with others, it's best to talk to your doctor. I'm on Paxil for my depression and it does help.

Anti-depressant aren't a "happy" pill they simply put your mind into the right mindset so that you can cope and deal with the things you need to. Some people think that taking them will solve all their problems. They weren't meant for that.

Sometimes the chemical balance in our brains go out of wack and the meds help bring them back together so that they work properly again. Most people won't get the full effect until they have been on them for 4 - 6 weeks.

When going on any of these I think it is really important to see your doctor every week or two weeks to discuss any side effects you might be having. If they are not working it could be the dosage is wrong or you need a different one. I had to change my dosage 3 times to find the right one for me.

Anyone whose depression gets worse when you start taking them see a doctor asap! Because they are not suppose to make your depression worse. A good doctor will work with you while you are on them to ensure that you feel safe taking them and that they are working the way they are suppose to.

Good luck! Depression is not easy to deal with.