View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
renaldo

Originally Posted by Cleopatra1 View Post
you all really know what its like ,and thats so amazing to me,,, i always thought i was the only one
Not by a long shot. I was resistant to attending my first AA meeting, but when I walked in, it was a really big one and my first thought was, 'man, there's no shortage of alcoholics in this town.'

When the speaker described his process, there were enough similarities that there was no way I could walk out of there and feel alone or like a freak of nature.

I met someone and he said, "there's a certain joke being played by the universe that only alcoholics get."

As for wanting to make other people feel better, Ozzy Osbourne said, "I've always wanted to make people feel better. In high school I couldn't stand to see people depressed, so I was always doing something to get a laugh out of them, like hanging myself from the door or something."

I try to strike a balance between saying light hearted humorous stuff and addressing serious issues. On this forum, even the light hearted stuff contains a kernel of addressing the issues - just seeing the irony of it, like the guy who spoke at an AA meeting. He said that the first meeting he attended he avoided talking to people because he was afraid they might figure out that he was an alcoholic.