View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
renaldo

Originally Posted by escapist View Post
I can be sitting in my Drs office being told I have COPD and I can find a way to make a joke. It's like if I see someone laughing it takes away the real negativity of a situation.
I'm the same way. My therapist has noted that I tend to direct us away from sensitive subjects by making a joke.

As for being a failure, cut yourself some slack. You're not sh*tfaced. You just broke a promise to yourself.

I invited a guy from AA over my house for dinner. I was drinking beer while I cooked. It was taking so long that I went ahead and ate something else while I was still cooking.

When he arrived I was really buzzed. I served him the food and we talked while he ate by himself. The food came out good, but then when I went to stand up, I fell down.

The next day I called him to apologize, saying I felt pathetic and he said, "You're not pathetic. You're just an alcoholic, and that's what alcoholics do."

If I dwelled on how many times I stopped and started again, that would be enough to drive me to drink.

I long for the day when it's a non-issue, and if someone asks why I don't drink I can say, "I gave it up for Lent."