View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
BethS
Celebrating Recovery

Yeah I don't follow a programme as such. For me, I had tried and failed many times before to stay sober. I had done it all on my own for a while, and that was actually a huge mistake. It was horrible, even though I was sober quite a while.

This time around, I did go to AA every day in the beginning, and I found it a vital support mechanism, especially when i really wanted to drink in the early days. I am so grateful it was there, with everyone pulling for me to stay sober. But I didn't get a sponsor or do the steps.

While AA was holding me together, I basically focused on changing my thinking, using several methods, although no recovery-specific ones. After about 6 months I was pretty much a changed person and have rebuilt my life. I don't go to AA officially any more, but I'm in touch with lots of people in recovery.

I think there are a few things that everyone should do to stay sober, but it's up to us how we do them. ONE - work on changing your negative thought patterns, whether through the steps, CBT or whatever works for you. And TWO, get the right type of support while you do it. For me, I needed face-to-face support, hugs and cups of tea. YMMV.

I believe anyone can get and stay sober if only they find the right way for them. Good luck!