View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
TheEnd
High on Life

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
Hi,

Does anyone not do a program? Is our only hope to take as faith and belief science or religion? Can a person really be honest and stay sober, or must we embrace as truth something, like a carrot of hope, regardless of our own experiences?
I believe this is possible, this is where I am now in my recovery, but it took me a long time to get here. I've been to detox, rehab, lots of therapy, and was a happy follower of the fellowship. For me, this is what I needed to get to this point. I needed a structured way of looking at things, I needed to be around people who "had what I wanted", I needed to believe in something outside of myself to get my through those tough periods. And as I look back I love seeing the rode I traveled to get to this place. As is often said, "Sobriety is a journey not a destination." By doing all those things I was able to reach this place.

After being sober for a period of time, I was able to look at things, dissect them so to speak and see things for what they really are. At the time, I wasn't able to do that, so I did what I needed.

Can you do it without a program? Only time will tell. I guess it depends a whole lot on where you are in this whole thing and how committed you are.

For me I equate my recovery to riding a bike. Before I needed a tricycle (detox/inpatient rehab), then as time went on I had a bike with training wheels (outpatient rehab/fellowship), then I had someone pushing me while I tried to stay up (distancing from the fellowship), now I 'm riding a 2 wheeler all by myself (no formal program).

Good Luck!!