View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
KCCO

Gave up alcohol and lost a friend

I'm 12 days alcohol free now.

One of my best friends was with me on the day I "scheduled" my last drink. He's a great friend and I wanted to be in the company of people I enjoyed when I had my last drink. He was very supportive and said "a man that wants to feel great everyday of his life.... That's damn admirable"

On my 4th day AF, he and our other buddy went to a local brewery and he told him that I'd quit drinking. This was a Thursday. The next day, our other buddy, we'llcall him "Max", Sent me a text message and asked me what I was doing that Friday night. I told him I'd probably go out to grab a bite to eat. He said to let him know if I cared for company.

A few minutes later he texted me and said "God, I could really go for a beer right now".

I asked him why he said that and he just laughed, that pretty much ended our friendship.

It stunned me that a friend could say something like that. I guess he was never really a good friend.

It's very disappointing to learn things like that about people, but obviously I'm better off without people like that in my life