View Single Post
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
nandm
Life the gift of recovery!

I tried to quit using logic and reason but failed miserably because alcoholism is a complex, multifaceted illness. Science can only explain so much.

I came to AA an Agnostic and nearly 12 years later I am still an Agnostic and utilize AA as my program of recovery. AA worked for me. I was desperate enough to set aside what on the surface appeared to be religious aspects of the program long enough to find out the difference between religious and spiritual. I do not find AA to be a religious program. There is no common "God," and no "God" is worshiped.

The bottom line is the program of AA saved my life. I have no doubt that I would be dead if it were not for the lifeline that AA put out for me. That aside I do know people who have found sobriety through other methods and programs so I do know that AA is not the only route to recovery. It just happens to be the program that worked for me.

Rather than run other programs or methods down just because they did not work for me or I did not understand them I choose to accept the fact that they do work for others and many lives have been saved because they are there. Personally, I would rather encourage others by talking about what works rather than find fault with programs that I have either never tried or that did not work for me. I would rather not be the reason a person chose not to try the very program that might have saved their life just because that program was one I did not understand or did not work for me.