View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
thislonelygirl
box of chocolates

I agree and disagree with costa rica.
Heres my reasoning.
1. Hes a recovering alcoholic and its a bachelor party a week long with booze and
Im sure plenty of it! Itll be a booze booze booze filled week. Not that there wont be other activities
But you cant expect non alcoholic occassional or more than occassional drinkers to have a long party with booze in a country like costa rica and not drink or drink more than heavily.a bad mixture of atmosphere and time.no no no! Not a goid idea.
However.....
2. Even though I would be very much thinking number 1 when it came to my ah and would be seriously upset and wanting to step in on the matter. It also makes me sad. Theres another side to this and
That is that he is already making sacrifices for his sobreity day to day. As he should.
But how can you tell someone or be upset to want to or be able to go to a function in a place as beautiful as costa rica with his friends on a special occasion?

Perhaps not staying the week? 3 days? Maybe suggesting to him your concern but allow him to make the decision.
Saying something on the lines " I think its a fun idea as long as you think it is . If your ok with everyone drinking infront of you for that period of time. I just want you to be ok. If you need too you can come back sooner than a week. Just dont put too much on yourself"

My ah had been invited to mini vacations with the guys out of town with drinking and I said basically the same....except he was and is still drinking but that the choice was his I wasnt going to tell him n. I did voice my concerns without being over bearing or bossy (trusting) and left it to him.
In the end he never went to the mini vacations . He chose even while actively using that it wasnt a good idea as he too has chosen to cancel a trip to another country because he plans rehab and knows even months from now to a yr he will not be ready.
Talk to him . Watch your words and he may surprise you and remember
He will always be an alcoholic eventually he has to live life and learn to say no for him.
You cannot hold his hand. Hes a big boy