View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
milo88

Hi Softball27,
I'm not the parent of an addict, in my case it was a partner, but I read this post and felt impelled to say - please make sure your mother understands what drug addiction is like!
One of my cousins who had a drug problem moved in with my grandmother, and she brought hell into my grandmother's home - a kind of hell my grandmother never even knew existed. My grandmother was getting dirty phone calls late at night (in her 80s), she was getting robbed, she had strange people wafting in and out of the house. Probably more that she never told anyone. She was scared! And I really don't think she understood what was really happening.
She thought she could help my cousin, but she had no idea at all of what was to come and, to be honest with you, it destroyed her. She had a kind of nervous breakdown from which she did not recover.
She was a wonderful woman, she had helped many others in her life before but she had never dealt with a drug problem before. I know it's your mother's decision, but please make sure she really knows what she's getting into!