View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
HopefulmomtoD

Recovering 2,

I appreciate your insight and your info on your brother. I'm very sorry for the pain your family has most likely suffered due to your brother's alcoholism. I have a nephew around his age. My SIL went to alanon faithfully and did not enable his addiction. He spent many times homeless and she once went over a year not knowing whether he was dead or alive. He's spent time in jail not bailed out. And, still, he's never been clean more than a year or two. She suffered so badly doing the "right thing" and not enabling him. It didn't help.

IOW, maybe your brother would have gotten better or maybe not? Your parents would have suffered no matter what. My first reaction is to say NO way in hell will my son still be living with me at the age of 45. But, then, I don't know. I really feel like this is a lifetime sentence and my DH and I are doing the best we can to stay sane in the midst of unspeakable pain.

I am educating myself as much as possible on addiction, I'm reading what the experts suggest and then doing the best I can for our entire family.

And, I'm feeling better that he won't be released with getting some help from the rehab on further placement.

We're not bringing him home ... lol, can't I get some credit for that?

Thanks again for your help.