Thread: Hello!
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2004, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
CircusInTown

Hello!

Hello! I'm a 50 year old woman maried to a man about the same age. I came here to get support. I'd like to jump right in and ask about the signs of alcoholism.

My husband used to drink wine occassionally with dinner and every now and then a cocktail. I also drink a glass of wine with dinner occassionally.

For the past month or so my husband has changed his normal drinking pattern. Every evening he has 3 or 4 drinks of liquor and wine. On the weekends I have seen him down a large bottle of wine then start on the hard stuff. The drinking goes on all weekend long. He even forgets to eat. He buys large bottles of whiskey. He claims it's going to lower his cholestrol.

I am afraid he is turning into an alcoholic. He denies he has a problem. He yells very loud at me every time I try having a normal conversation. he tells me I need to grow up. Remember we are in our 50's.

I grew up with an alcoholic father. I saw what my mother went through. My dad was an alcoholic when he and my mom married so I don't know the beginning signs. I do know his behavior was similar to what my husband is displaying now. My dad died of liver disease.

My husband has apologized for yelling only to turn around and do it again.

I guess I need a sounding board. I know he won't see what he is becoming unless he wants to see it and seek help. so the best thing I can do is get help for myself. Thank you. CircusInTown

Last edited by CircusInTown; 11-22-2004 at 10:14 AM. Reason: add