View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Newatthis34

I like the measuring stick analogy fini! Sometimes i wonder if the reason i get knotted up with terms etc is because i'm searching forensically for some flaw or inconsistency in AVRT so that i can say 'sod it' and justify drinking again. Strange how the mind works eh?

You make an interesting point about the notion of 'free' with regards to choices about drinking too. I guess if you start from the assumption that years of skewed/screwed-up thinking about alcohol has warped the ability to think logically about what it is you really want, then you maybe begin to see the obvious. Which leads back to the same place anyway - quitting for good. This is what I think is so great about RobR's approach to AVRT, once I begin looking upon it as a tool rather than a prescription or recipe to be followed to the letter I can put aside the feeling that I'm missing something or not getting it right. Surely the end result - sobriety and not only sobriety but a contented sobriety - is what matters most? Otherwise it's just debate for the sake of debate. Nothing wrong with that per se, but let's face it we could engage in a theoretical debate on AVRT while still getting pissed each night! Kind of a waste of time eh?! I'd rather be sober and maybe misunderstand bits and bobs of the theory!