View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
fini

It's hard not to get fixated on the terms/semantics of the language of AVRT, I think this has been the crux of my issue with the BP.

yes, i found that, too. because i conflated it (when i first got sober, or even just a bit before, when i was reading sobriety stuff but drinking) with commitment. of which i had made many, you know, the BIG DECISION. which could only be followed by entirely free will and free choice and total control.
i fell down there every time, though i stayed sober, this time, while still being of that mindset. but i wanted to figure it out, how come all my previous decisions and total commitments hadn't worked? i'm a bloody strong-willed person...it SHOULD have worked

OK, I get that if you make a BP and then drink again (which I did last year) then it wasn't a real BP.

yes, always that looking backwards at what felt totally genuine and committed at the time i decided it...crazy-making.

for myself, new-at-this, it took a couple of years of sobriety, to finish grappling with what i call "the choice-thing", which ties in with personal power, of course, and i ended up seeing that alcoholism had screwed up my access to choice/control/power with regards to drinking. neither my choices nor my will were anything like "free" there.

not trying to add to the semantics here, just that i think i see where you're pinned with the BP thing. seeing it in RobbyR's terms as something to...uh...gauge "the voice" against, a bit like a measuring stick: "oh look, no, this doesn't fit the BP, it's against it, so, must be AV" helps make sense of it for me, though it might not be the definition as set by Rational Recovery.

in any case, here we are, engaged in sobriety-talk with each other, tossing our ideas and experiences around, and ain't it grand?