View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Authoress

Sober without a program

I think I fall into that category...though I've explored and participated in several recovery programs: SMART, AA, WFS, etc. Secular, as well as cognitive-thinking/behavior-therapy, has helped me more.

At the present time though, I don't actively participate in any specific program. I did have inpatient therapy, especially detox from alcohol (horrible time!); the program there was cognitive therapy. Then I went to a similar therapist for a few months. I also attended local AA meetings, but I'm a widow and the majority of males there were intimidating. However, that is not why I stopped attending: it was the spiritual/religious basis I had trouble with. In the South, that particular AA group was very religious and if anyone had a relapse, the whole group would start up with judgement about not accepting God, etc. Reminded me of southern baptist church services, which I rejected when I was about 10 years old.

I think I did learn from every group I attended, but finally decided I didn't want to live the remainder of my life actively participating in one group or another. I must explain that I had never drank at all till my husband died (I'm 61); then I gradually fell into alcoholism for 5 years. The first 4 years were more moderate/controlled drinking; the last year was hell on earth. Binging/stopping, binging/stopping...mostly due to my lone efforts to quit. Finally I went into the inpatient rehab, which I credit for getting me off booze for good. The therapist helped me understand some of the underlying emotional/psychological problems I had, which I've resolved. I do take anti-depression medication, and it's helped a great deal.

I do read several forums occasionally, comment if appropriate.

I firmly believe there is no ONE path for everyone. The path that works for one person might not for another, and that's why I accept that any program with success is right for that specific individual. And that some of us need that help at the beginning, but can choose NOT to drink and go it alone afterwards.