View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
GerandTwine
Not The Way way, Just the way

Originally Posted by Received View Post
For me, the word commitment means to be obligated. Commitments, imo, can be broken. For instance, I committed to helping at a baby shower but I fell ill.

To me, The Big Plan means no matter what happens I will never drink again and I will never change my mind. No exceptions. No wiggle room for "unseen events". NEVER.

I'm new at this so
In my book, deciding to never again do something easily qualifies as a type of commitment by any logical understanding of commitment. But this is just about the meaning of terms.

Here's something a little more interesting.

It takes only one breath to say "I will never drink again". It also takes just one breath to say "I will never drink again and I will never change my mind."

If it took two breaths to say the latter compound sentence, I think more people would more easily understand what I believe - that the Addictive Voice is secretly grinning at the second half. "Hah, so, never is not good enough all by itself, yep, you have to say it twice and qualify it with redundancy, HAH!!"

You see, I believe the second half is a CONDITION on the first half. The first half is perfectly capable of standing alone in its absolute clear meaning. So, the Shakespearean Beast is chuckling "Methinks thou dost protesteth too much."

Nevertheless, I do believe there is a purpose for the long version of the BP. It is useful in early practice before someone actually makes it. It can more clearly draw out the feelings and thoughts of a freshly trapped Beast, because IT has heard the first short version before and will try to belittle it and claim that you are incapable of not swallowing alcohol all by yourself.

In my case, years after quitting, I had dreams that put my honesty to myself in question. IT was trying to to confuse me about when I had been lying to others about quitting and my BP to myself. It took some conscious effort to recall that "Yes, of course I have not drunk alcohol since making it!" and that gnawing anxiety quickly dissipated. But it did come back for a while. It was using my guilt over past indiscretions to try to get me to believe I was not capable of a Big Plan. Those were the days of IT's death throes.

So, in AVRT, the Big Plan has two uses. You can practice it - knowing you are just practicing it - and you can make it.

Practicing the BP with different add on phrases is very useful in exposing the AV. But once the BP has been made, (and it can only be made once) the internal struggle is over and it's all downhill recognition.