View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
auden67

Beloved, when I finally quit drinking, I used my relationship with my wonderful boyfriends as motivation, but the reason was all about me. For myself, a good part was being honest about how much time, mental energy and space, and problems were caused by alcohol (I had a Rx for benzos but somehow never became a problem. My doc was very strict with them, and I was very wary, for good reason). When I first quit, I read a TON of addiction books (good resources are a sticky, but faves were Allen Carr's book, Kristen Johnson's Guts, and Drinking: A Love Story). I read and posted on SR. I focused on goals and paid close attention to the positive changes. The big difference for me was accepting that I really cannot drink, and that is OK. Allen Carr's book is good for addressing why it is totally fine and should be the norm. But regardless, it is very possible to have a wonderful, engaging and fun life with no alcohol or drugs. Humility and gratitude are awesome tools to carry you through the day.

Good luck, keep posting. You can do this! You are totally worth it.