View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sasha4

Three things strike me from your post.

1. You have to want to do. Not because your husband wants you too, his mum, his Dad whoever. It has to be you. I think you will feel unhappy with your decision if it is forced by someone or something else.

2. The future.
Looking forward to singing in Greece with no booze, next Christmas, next new years eve, even next saturday is too much for anyone. You can only do it as one day at a time. In the morning say to yourself 'just for today I am not going to drink'.
Don't go any further than that.
Imagining the next 20 days, weeks or years is a lot, maybe too much for anyone to get their heads around.

3. Get learning, get some knowledge.
I had no idea about alcohol and the dangers until I came here. None whatsoever. There are some beautifully wise people here who can help you learn all you need to know. They can tell you how bad some people can 'have it'. Why certain things happen - blackouts, the shakes etc. What types of help are available.
There is AA, SMART, AVRT technique.
Read it and understand it all.
I would try and go to an AA meeting if you can and listen, maybe say if you can that you worry about your drinking.
I have the upmost respect for all the experiences that the AA friends I made shared with me.
I judge none of them.
I am grateful they talked about what alcohol did to them so that I might be spared from loosing my family, my home, my job, my driving license, my health or going to prison.
It might be that you are not an alcoholic, who knows?
But I would use your time and reflective mood to understand where drink can take you.
It could be far worse than a family row.
Go on the SMART website, go on AA international and find a meeting and I think you will soon make your mind up what you need to do.

I really do wish you the best xx