View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
hypochondriac

While a supervised life can help, especially getting over that first hurdle, ultimately you need to want to make changes and be determined to do what you need to do to stay clean. I never went to rehab myself but I can see how hard it must be to have that level of support disappear when you have to go back to the real world. I was lucky, I never lost my job or home to drink and most people didn't know I had a problem. I just did what I normally did and pretended everything was fine while I was getting sober. I was a wreck. I was lucky to not have any debilitating withdrawals and managed to keep going to work despite feeling really sick and having quite interesting emotional responses. Outside of the stuff I had to do the only thing I concentrated on was staying sober. Still like that months down the line. But I didn't have to take time out of my work life to do it. It was tough but possible. For me anyway. I think you know really what level of support you need. If you think you need to take time out then maybe that's what you need to do x