View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
BabyJane

Sorry I wasn't aware that you were in Asia. From what I've heard there are English-speaking meetings all over the world, so perhaps you can check, or there are online meetings here and a few other places. What finally worked for me was a combination of accumulated knowledge, the kindness and willingness of some sober friends to coach me and help me along, and my own complete surrender - I had to be ready to loose everything (material stuff, unhealthy or just overly-challenging relationships, my perception of who I was and what life was about) and still stay away from the booze and pills NO MATTER WHAT. Honestly, almost nothing in my life today is the same. I gave up a lot but I watched and listened to some people who actually had quality sobriety and did what they did, all the while trusting that eventually everything that I was giving up would be replaced by something much better and more valuable and that's what is happening. It's been really hard sometimes, I won't lie to you, but I am finally able to have some PEACE in my life after so many years of feeling completely uncomfortable and anxious almost all the time. To me, that's worth any sacrifice. I am happier now than I was when I had the fancy car, the big house, the wealthy good-looking guy, the high-profile job, etc. I wasn't very humble or grateful back then and now I am humble and grateful every single day.

I hope this helps a bit. I'm not saying AA or meetings are the only way but you need support. No one does this completely alone. No matter where you are the Internet and telephone gives you a connection to others in recovery. Find people who you can trust and relate to and ask them to show you the way. Also, check into AA maybe just to see what the steps are all about and what it says in the big book about alcoholism and recovery. It's all easy to find online! Those are my suggestions! Here for you.