View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
paul99
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
Thats a point that got me. Someone on this board said something along the lines of "oh yeah your situations different uh huh all sarcasitc like" I thought iw as special i had some diff story to tell that my line of thought was somehow different and no one would understand etc.. Till I went to AA like the people on this board had suggested and realized nope I' not special I'm just al alcoholic like a lotta others and a lot of others could help me etc..

I never got the phone list was never even offered nor a sponsor or nothing i dunno. I think the group i went too was just a tight nitched group i dunno. Why i have a hard time going back sometimes tho i did really enjoy speaking with some of them.
I like to tell people I am a garden variety drunk...just a page out of the big book . But I had the same experience as you, in terms of people not approaching me at my first few meetings. I can't say why, nor do I venture as to why. But no doubt I put out "don't talk to me" vibes and darted straight out of the meeting once it was done. But I kept going back to the meetings to hear the message. It was later down the line that I started to get a few numbers.

We tend to think that we are different, and that keeps us apart from other fellow alcoholics. The term "terminally unique" is sometimes used for that. But for me, I needed to see past this and realize I am no different. Some good ego deflation there too

I am sorry to hear of your experience, and in my experience doesn't reflect AA in general. All the meetings I have been to it's usually quite easy to pick out someone who is new. I have been known to run down people in parking lots to give them a number (newbies run quickly), and I have seen others literally swarm the newcomer. Depends on the group.

Hope you go back