View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013, 05:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
jennikate

I'm an athiest (agnostic?) member of AA. When I first came in to the rooms, I had that same reaction. I made it a barrier to accepting and taking part in the program. The last time I came in (5/26/12), I was so desperate and I knew I would die eventually if I wasn't able to quit. I forced myself to be openminded and tried to squash any negative/judgemental thoughts about the program. I became willing to listen and tried to get something out of every experience.

A few things that stuck out at me. Someone said that when they came in the drink was higher than them. And that looking around the rooms, they could see that some people had a many long 24 hours put together (long time sobriety). So therefore, they drink was higher than her but that some of the members were higher than that, therefore making GOD (group of drunks) her higher power. I was able to use that idea as my hp at the time. Further, I was able to believe that I am not the highest thing in the universe-seemed arrogant to me. Not sure what is higher-an energy in the universe or something but not me. I also believe that the hp concept is one that evolves over time and does not need to be clearly defined at first (or maybe ever). Since I believe in the group of drunks, I think of the our father prayer as group bonding. I will admit that I'd rather say something different and I do not always say it-only if the mood strikes me. I don't have any problem with the serenity prayer, I just leave off the word god.

Again, this last time I came in the rooms, I was completely down and out. For my own recovery to work at all, I had to overcome a lot of anger which is what you are describing. It wasn't only towards the hp, I hated the happiness and gratitude I saw at AA. I thought it was fake. I hated the words sobriety, sober, grateful, etc. I hated the promises. Thankfully I put aside those thoughts, genuinely listened and did as I was told. I have been sober 7+ months now and have not been happier in as long as I can remember.