View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
kizmett

Currently tapering

Hi everyone,
I made the decision that I needed to quit drinking a few days ago and initially tried to quit cold turkey. I started drinking heavily everyday about 2 years ago and over the last year moved from 1.5 litres of wine a night up to 3-4 litres. When I decided to quit I went 24 hours without a drink but then felt so paranoid and anxious that I could not handle it so I've decided to taper instead. I've worked my way down to 1 litre now and hope to be completely done by Monday. As I did most of my drinking in secret at home I haven't had any incidents that weren't self inflicted but I have often woken up with severe bruises that I had no recollection of getting. I have been reading posts on boards like this over the past few days and found the support so helpful that I decided to join and post my own story. The main withdrawal symptoms I've had have been anxiety based but I am also experiencing lower back twinges. Even though I'm not there yet I feel confident that I can do this. I will continue to post on my progress and am grateful for forums such as this that provide such an opportunity.