Thread: hello
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
ddrayer

Originally Posted by scaredkitty View Post
he didn't seem overly concerned about me stopping, although he couldn't really offer much in the way of practical advice, and he didn't make it a big issue about wd effects and so on.
I had a very similar experience a year ago with a doctor. I hate this attitude in the medical field. I may be off base here, but I think one of my largest problems I've had with quitting is the response of my doctor when I went for advice concerned about my health. I told them I drank (although I probably was misleading on the low side) but regardless I wish my doctor hadn't responded by saying "oh it's not a huge deal."

I don't blame the doctor for saying that. My addiction is because of my choices and my lack of control in my life. But I feel that it was the first time I gave that first cry for help, admitting that I wasn't in control anymore. Instead I felt that the doctor to some extent validated my behavior.

I am working on my second day of sobriety and reading posts here has helped me immensely in getting through those difficult first 24 hours. Thank you for sharing.