Thread: I'm not Dead
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2013, 02:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redfish

I'm not Dead

In about the middle of November I woke up during the night one Sunday morning and I was losing blood throwing up and through my bowels to the tune of 3.5 pints. I was sober and only had about 6 or 7 drinks the day before which is nothing for me and was in bed by 9:15. I couldn’t walk 4 feet without passing out as I was extremely anemic. I spent the next 5 days in ICU getting blood transfusions to include 5 units. They diagnosed me with Esophagus Varices. This included ulcers in my esophagus which erupted. The level of blood I lost made this a life threatening situation as 5 different doctors told me 1 out of 2 people die that experience what I did. Went to a treatment center for 30 days and followed Mr. Wilson’s AA steps. Detoxing wasn’t bad as I was in ICU medicated and I don’t remember a thing.
I was extremely lucky. My employer held my job with full salary and now I’m back at work. I attend AA meetings regularly and I’ve NEVER felt better. I’ve been praying for sobriety for 2 years now and God finally addressed it for me in a very scary way. I know I’m in early stages, but my situation is simple, if I drink I die. No ifs ands or buts so I’m confident there will be no relapse as this is a lifestyle change I’m committed to. For those of you wondering I drank a ½ a bottle of Jack Daniels every night for 20 years. The last 2 years I was drinking Vodka and Grapefruit just to stay normal during the day.
If I can do this anyone can. I hope this story helps and I’m blessed to find this website.