Old 12-28-2012, 07:38 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
BrokenHeartWife

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
But BHW, that was his choice to nothing productive, not the rehabs. Is he getting any help now? Attending meetings? Seeing a psychiatrist? A therapist??
I agree. I just think the rehab should have been more pro-active. I think that he should have been kept so busy that going back to work would almost be a relief (lol). Surely they should have been able to predict that when addicts have too much free time that they won't like going back to the "rat race" of the real world.

We see this here on this forum. Addicts who aren't working and they're being couch potatoes all day. They've gotten "used" to having a very relaxed schedule of doing things only when THEY want to do them.

I WISH he was seeing a psychiatrist now. He was during rehab. He was also seeing a good therapist - a well-trained one who worked with the psychiatrist.

His therapist in our home-town is worthless. She's a cream puff. There are different kinds of therapists, and she's not trained to deal with PDs or really much of anything that is serious. H has been seeing her for about 2 years. She knew about his drinking, yet she never recommended AA because she believed his lies that he had it "under control" (what kind of therapist believes those lies??). She finally recommended Rehab after I texted her in August telling her that AH was (again) threatening suicide. I guess the first threat didn't concern her enough. :/

As for AA meetings... Once he returned from rehab, he had been attending AA meetings on a semi-regular basis (not often enough). He didn't go to any while we were out of town because the area really didn't offer many - mostly early in the morning, and AH is NOT a morning person. I hope that now that we're back home that he'll start going again. (Again, his cream puff therapist sure isn't pushing him to go! And, I know that I'm not supposed to push, so I won't.)

I am going to suggest that he find another therapist - one who is clinically trained to deal with PDs and addictions.